Sunday, July 8, 2012

Fireflies in the Garden / The Amazing Spider-Man

I have never watched so many movies in my life. Well, that's probably not true. But I haven't had this much free time in ages. I'm also giving you raspy, raspy voice for the last few days so I'm trying to just take it easy, at which I SUCK. Hense, the large amount of movies I have watched since Thursday...

Fireflies in the Garden. I'll admit, I picked this one up because it stars one Ryan Reynolds. I'm fairly certain that it was never released into theaters... if it WAS, it was in 2008 and it didn't last long. The movie also stars William Dafoe, Emily Watson, Julia Roberts... but, most importantly, it stars Ryan Reynolds (have I mentioned that already?)

If you want to watch family drama and a brooding leading man for 90 minutes, this may be your movie. I wouldn't mind those two things as much if the characters were better developed. But there was not one character in this movie that I truly understood. I thought the potential was there, but right as things started to come together, the movie was over. And, really, none of my questions were answered. Overall, it was disappointing, when I really wanted to like it. Thankfully, it was a $1 rental.

Spider-Man. First of all, I'm not really keen on seeing movies in 3-D, unless I'm at Disney World and being offered Captain EO or Mickey's Philharmagic. Otherwise, why bother? Its more expensive and gives me a weird headache. So I saw Spider-Man in a regular ol' theatre where the only glasses I had to wear were my own. I've seen the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man trilogy, and I liked them pretty well - I didn't really understand why they wanted to remake the Spider-Man empire when the other movies are less than 10 years old.  But I think Andrew Garfield is pretty great and Nora Walker (or Sally Fields, whatever) is playing Peter Parker's aunt, so you really can't go wrong.

The movie was really good - not too long, not too short. I know nothing about the land of comic books, so I had to ask the boys I was with why we had Gwen Stacy and not Mary Jane, but Emma Stone was cute and charming, per usual, where as Kristen Dunst was always fairly annoying. Andrew Garfield was a great Peter Parker, though I think I still love him best in Social Network. And no one turns on the tears like Nora Walker / Sally Fields, and she had plenty of opportunity to do so.

Like most other action movies, this is one you want to see on a big screen. It will definitely not be as exciting watching it at home on TV. Its worth the $12 - promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment