Monday, July 9, 2012

Blueberry Gluten-Free Pancakes

I've said it before, I'll say it again... I've had A LOT of free time this summer. When I'm not in rehearsal, I am taking the time to do things I WANT to do, rather that HAVE to do. And this morning, I wanted blueberry pancakes. Sure, it would have been easier to go to IHOP and have someone make them for me, but where's the fun in that?

I've had a feeling for awhile that my body doesn't process gluten well. My aunt has Celiac disease, which is known to run in families. I don't think I have anything as serious as she does, but last summer the doctor told me to try to cut down on gluten and see how I felt. And I promptly got hired to go on tour and did no such thing. So I've been taking care this summer to cut down on gluten .. which is where the quest to find a good gf pancake mix comes in.

I ended up buying a brand called Namaste (http://www.namastefoods.com/ and found at Dillons). It didn't contain corn, which we probably all know, the body doesn't break down well. Gross, but I think you know what I'm talking about. I followed the instructions on the side of the package exactly but substituted coconut oil for the vegetable oil. I also added a dash of nutmeg. Here is the finished product:


Bad news: it tasted AWFUL. Like disgusting. And then I saw it... the helpful little note below all the directions:

Sugar, Agave Nectar or Honey can be added. Ahhhh yes, mystery solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment